"Nobody can do everything, but everyone can do something" - Gil Scott-Heron

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Cheap and Easy

That's what's for dinner. I have been trying recipes in the crockpot for a couple years now because I don't have to do alot of cooking when I get home from work and there's less clean up afterwards. You can pretty much toss in any piece of meat and at the end of the day, you have a tender and juicy dinner. I should have titled this blog "Broke and Lazy".




Here's a recipe for you (and you can modify it anyway you like)


2.5 lb of cheap chuck roast (any cheap roast will do and size may vary depending on the mouths you have to feed.)

1 packet of dry ranch dressing

1 packet of dry italian dressing

1 packet of dry brown gravy mix
If I don't have one of the above, I just don't add it. It still tastes good. I usually stock up when there is a sale or buy the store brand - whatever's cheaper. Sodium, what sodium?
1 cup of water

Vegetables of your choice. I like potatoes or chopped carrots but you can even toss in a can of veggies, frozen veggies or whatever you like.


Toss all of the above in crockpot on low for 8 - 10 hours or high for about 6-8 hours. We've used all different lengths of time and temp and it pretty much comes out the same. When it is done that cheap and tough chuck roast just falls apart. Leftovers are great for sandwiches.

I would serve it over egg noodles but we used rice this time and it was still great. We had a leftover can of succotash from one of duke's lunches that I just dumped in with 2 hours to go.


YUM YUM!


If you have an easy and cheap crockpot recipe that you like, please share!!


No comments: