"Nobody can do everything, but everyone can do something" - Gil Scott-Heron

Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Mouse in the House!!!


** If hearing of mouse poop completely grosses you out - start reading halfway down **

Normally I think small furry critters are cute. All creatures great and small, right? Well, not when it poops on my counter and eats my brownies. Yesterday (Friday), I woke up and went down to make my morning coffee while Duke was playing in his crib. By playing I mean yelling at his mobiles. I made my coffee and cleaned up the kitchen a bit and my sister, B, comes over to visit. She comes in the kitchen and we chit chat and what goes best with coffee, brownies of course. I had them in a dish and covered with a paper towel over night. I eat a brownie and begin pouring a cup of coffee when I notice tiny little brownish black specks (oblong shaped) on my counter. I investigate them and realize they kind of look like what my hamster's poop looked like many many moons ago when I had a hamster. That's when I realize, I don't think we're alone here. Then I realize - Oh My Gosh - would a mouse eat brownies?? But I had them covered by a paper towel, certainly a mouse would not be smart enough. Sure enough, I take a closer look at the brownies and there is a whole section nibbled out and two turds in the dish. At this point, I think I might be sick. I ate a brownie! I call Jack at work and tell him to pick up some traps on his way home.

The trap went out last night. We came down this morning and the trap had been triggered!!! There were small poops again near the trap too. I pick up the trap and shake it a little but nothing. It wasn't heavy and I thought it was a false alarm and put the trap back down. Jack takes it to the garage and comes back in and says that he thinks there's a mouse in there so he attempts to put it in a bucket so we can take it down to the woods. Sure enough here comes a whiskery pointy nose coming from the trap. He was released down by the woods and hopefully he won't be back. I hope that was the only one. It gives me the shivers just thinking about it creeping around my kitchen.

** begin reading here**

Other than the mouse, life here has been pretty uneventful. Duke is loving taking his tubbies and he is getting so big. I think he enjoyed the warm weather we had this week because we got to get outside and play instead of always being in the house. He loves watching the dogs play and has been keeping a close eye on them lately.

No comments: